Mississippi River Power Corp. is the generation side of the former Almonte Hydro. The Corporation of the Town of Mississippi Mills owns 100% of the shares in MRPC.
Mississippi River Power Corp. owns and operates a 4.6 Megawatt Generating Station in Almonte, Ontario. This station was built in 2008-09 and came online on April 9, 2010.
Mississippi River Power Corp.’s office has re-located from 28 Mill St to 12B Mill St (the end unit closest to Farm St. in the Heritage Mall).
Almonte Public Utilities Commission (PUC) purchased 28 Mill Street in 1940, from Sterling Bank. The vault from the bank remains today. When the electricity industry was deregulated in the late 1990s, the Public Utilities Commission was split into two companies (generation and distribution). Ownership of the office building was transferred from the old PUC to the Municipality, and Mississippi River Power Corp. (along with Ottawa River Power Corporation) has rented space in the building since 2000.
While we’re sad to leave the old space, the new office meets our needs well. As an added bonus it also overlooks Metcalfe Park and the Brian J. Gallagher Generating Station.